Platypus is a developer tool for the Mac OS X operating system. It creates native Mac OS X applications from interpreted scripts such as shell scripts or Perl, Ruby and Python programs. This is done by wrapping the script in an application bundle along with a native executable binary that runs the script.
Platypus makes it easy for you to share your scripts and programs with those unfamiliar with the command line interface, without any knowledge of the Mac OS X APIs -- a few clicks and you will have your own Mac OS X graphical program. Creating installers, maintenance applications, login items, launchers, automations and droplets is very easy using Platypus.
- Supports shell scripts, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, Swift, Expect, Tcl, AppleScript or any other user-specified interpreter
- Can execute scripts with root privileges via Apple's Security Framework
- Can display graphical feedback of script execution as progress bar, text window with script output, droplet, WebKit HTML rendering or status item menu
- Supports dragging and dropping files or text snippets, which are then passed to the script as arguments
- Can create applications that are handlers for URI schemes
- Can create applications that run in the background (LSUIElement)
- Set own application icon or select from presets
- Set app's associated file types, identifier, version, author, etc.
- Graphical interface for bundling support files with script
- Command line tool for automation
- "Profiles" which can be used to save configurations
- Built-in script editor, or linking with external editor of choice
- Extensive documentation and many built-in examples to help you get started
Platypus is free, open-source software distributed under the terms of the BSD license. It is written in Objective C for the Cocoa application programming interfaces. The source code is available on GitHub
If Platypus makes your life easier or helps you be more productive, please donate to support continued development.
The latest version is Platypus 5.2, released on March 3rd 2017. Platypus and Platypus-generated applications require Mac OS X 10.7 or later, and are 64-bit Intel binaries.
If you want to target 10.6 and/or 32-bit systems, version 4.9 continues to work just fine. If you want to target 10.4 and PowerPC users, you can use version 4.4.
For help with development, you can subscribe to the Platypus Developer Mailing List and send in your query, or maybe give the documentation a once-over again.